13 Old Girl, receives multi-million-pound payout after doctors at Great Ormond Street Hospital accidentally injected her brain with GLUESunday, February 02, 2014
A girl whose brain was accidentally injected with glue during treatment at Great Ormond Street Hospital is to receive a multi-million-pound damages payout after she was left with devastating permanent brain damage.
Despite having a rare medical condition that involved arteries and veins getting tangled, which could result in a bleed, Maisha Najeeb, of Ilford, Essex, was a healthy 10-year-old until she went into hospital in June 2010.
On other occasions, she had successfully received embolisation treatment, which involves injecting glue to block off bleeding blood vessels, and an injection of a harmless dye to check the flow of blood around the brain and head.
But on this occasion, said solicitor Edwina Rawson of legal firm Field Fisher Waterhouse, there was no system in place for distinguishing between the syringes containing the glue and those containing the dye, and they got mixed up. This resulted in glue being wrongly injected into the artery to Maisha’s brain, causing catastrophic and permanent brain damage.